Lovers of swords and knives have been engaged in a battle that seems to reach back as far as our interest in all things that bash, slice, and dice.
Which one is more effective: the terrifying sharpness and formidable strength of the Samurai swords, or the blunt force of the European longsword?
First let’s take a look at both.
The Samurai sword or the Katana is said to be strong enough to slice a body in two, but precise enough to cut a human hair. The curved blade is made to be used with swift movements to leave your opponent filleted before he even knows what hit him.
The process of forging an authentic Katana takes months to complete. A block of steel is pounded flat and then folded and pounded flat again. This process helps remove impurities from the steel creating a stronger more flexible blade. Folding a blade just 10 times creates 1024 layers. An additional 4 folds brings the total layers to over 16,000. This process creates a distinct pattern in the sword.
The blade is then quenched in water to temper the steel. Many Japanese swordsmiths coated the blade in clay using different thicknesses for the back and the cutting edge before quenching the blade. The different thicknesses caused the blade to cool at different rates creating a harder edge and more flexible back. This method is known as the Japanese Claying Method.
From there the blade is meticulously crafted with a curved edge to allow the sword to be pulled from the scabbard and then slash or cut an opponent all in one motion.
Last an expert sword polisher gets his hands on the blade and finishes the last stage. His efforts make the blade scalpel sharp using polishing stones.
The end result is a swift Samurai sword that can cut through flesh and bone like warm butter.
Known as a Knight’s trusty sidekick, there is something hopelessly gallant and romantic about the cold steel of a European Longsword.
Built to be used with force by a heavy hand, this sword is great for cutting and crunching some ribs. Made to be used with two hands in melee, every inch is designed for hand to hand combat.
Both swords were used by the aristocracy, and both have captivated us for centuries.
A well choreographed sword fight scene doesn't just stay on the screen, it explodes across your face drenching you in testosterone-filled awesomeness. Here are 5 of the most memorable sword fight scenes ever committed to film.
1. The Battle of Stirling - Braveheart (1995) Never has a movie scene displayed the brutal reality of a sword fight. Limbs fly, eyes are gouged, and throats are slit. Instead of being treated to a highly polished scene you are left with what resembles a blood spattered football brawl that would leave you screaming "Retreat!" if you were on the receiving end. Even the horses aren't safe from the vengeful blade of William Wallace.
2. King Leonidas and 300 vs the Persians - 300 (2007) King Leonidas is the reigning badass leader that was ever committed to film. This dude took out a vicious wolf in a snow storm with nothing more than a pointed stick, so just imagine the damage he does with his Sword of Sparta. After lobbing his spear at an invading Persian to connect a perfect hit he proceeds to slash, rip, and generally open a can of whoop ass all over the horde. The movie has no choice but to slow things down as the Persians are backed off a cliff due to unbelievable awesomeness.
3. Gladiators vs "Barbarian Horde"- Gladiator (2000) Armed with nothing but spears and simple shields, exiled General Maximus faces a seemingly unwinnable enemy. The Barbarian Horde is equipped with chariots and bows and arrows while our hero is left with his wits and leadership skills. After getting his hands on a proper Roman Blade a few smart moves end with overturned chariots and Maximus commanding his troops from atop a steed. This victory is a turning point that leads to a shakeup of the Roman empire. What could be more boss than that?
4. Yu Shu Lien vs Jen Yu - Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (2000)
These ladies have to make an appearance as they mix it up and hold nothing back. The skill of Yu Shu is no match for the supreme design of the ancient Green Destiny Ninja Sword. Watch as it slices through swords, spears, and a metal bat during this no holds barred cat fight that can only come at the end of a friendship and the beginning of every male fantasy.
5. Neo vs The Merovingians Minions - The Matrix Reloaded (2003) The Matrix will always be known for its innovations in filming fight scenes and bullet-time. However, this fight scene is a force to be reckoned with. Fighting off programs armed with maces, daggers, and tridents, Neo uses his telekinesis and mad skills to serve these programs on a platter. Greco-Roman statues aren't safe from his wrath as the scenery literally crumbles under his destructive powers. Whether he is dishing it up with a serrated sword, ninja sais, or a club; one thought runs through your head: "Shouldn't have f-ed with him!"
It's time once again to honor that special man in your life, your father.
Isn't time you went past the bottle of cologne, silk tie or money clip. When you're looking for a special gift for "the man who has everything" look no further. Every man loves a good knife.
Knives are essential in many everyday uses, from opening boxes and cutting twine, to being used in the field while hunting. Knives are also used in emergency situations by EMT's to break glass and cut seat belts not to mention in survival situations while back country camping or hiking.
Get the most special man in your life something special he can really use and cherish.
Right now are offering an additional 10% off your order until Father's Day Sunday June 16, 2003. The only exclusions are our 3 weekly specials that run from Friday to Thursday each week.
Happy Father's Day (and don't forget the new graduate.)